One of my fave styles I absolutely love both seeing and styling has to be monochromatic outfits. Not only are they super chic but to be honest, I find them pretty straightforward. I can understand how a monochromatic look can be intimidating to some but I’m here to tell you with the right tips it can be pretty easy to incorporate in your style. Before we get into the actual tips, let’s define monochromatic first.
What does monochromatic mean?
Monochromatic means, as per the dictionary, containing or using only one color. They can also be colors all within the same hue. Think dark red, red, and lighter red. A monochromatic color scheme can either be the same shade of red or different variations of the color red. Pretty simple right? Right!
As I mentioned previously, monochromatic outfits can be pretty straightforward. Have you worn an all black outfit before? That was a monochromatic look! I always recommend that if you’re just getting into monochromatic looks start off with neutral colors. Various shades of gray, camel, or navy blue can definitely do the trick. Having an outfit with different shades, also known as a tonal outfit, will create visual interest and can soften a look as well.
Let’s dive a little deeper on how to style a chic monochromatic look.
- First take a look in your closet to determine which colors you have the most of.
- Choose a color that you have various shades/ textures of and also compliment your skin tone.
- Depending on where you want the eye to be drawn, pair a darker and lighter color together. Keep in mind, darker colors tend to be more slimming (if that’s what you’re going for).
- Bring in a texture. This will add dimension to your look. Think a cable knit sweater with a satin skirt. Another example is how I paired my leather trousers with a long sleeve knit.
- Throw in an accessory. I wouldn’t go overboard but adding a chic accessory can definitely add the perfect touch. Plus, it shows your dedication!
- Don’t let the outfit overwhelm you! As always, be sure to have fun with it.
And that’s that! I hope that this helps in your monochromatic endeavors. Do you love monochromatic outfits? Let me know below!